Download the Andriod App
  • Join Us For Sunday Morning Service January
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER


History of The Island of Hope Church of God in Christ

The Island of Hope Church of God in Christ history begins in 1934 on Hailey Street, known then as the “Power House Church of God in Christ,” with approximately seventy-five (75) members under the leadership of the Reverend David Anderson. In 1940 that building was demolished, the lumbar from that building was used to erect a new building at 1403 Cage Street, and the name of the Church was changed to Cage Street Church of God in Christ.

In February of 1960 this edifice burned and the church relocated to a rental building on Capron Street. The church operated out of the 1703 Capron Street Building from 1960 until 1963. In the Spring of 1963, a new lot was purchased (the present location on the corner of Orange and Grove Street), and a beautiful brick building was erected. The church remained under the leadership of Reverend David Anderson until his death in June 1966. Leadership 32 years.

In September of 1966, the Reverend E.C. Cornelius, Jr. was appointed pastor. Under his leadership additional pews, carpet and furniture was purchased, and the name was changed to Anderson Memorial Church of God in Christ. Reverend Cornelius resigned in 1972. Leadership 6 years. 1972 through 1974 the church was without pastoral leadership. 1975 through January 1981 Bishop C.H. Nelson served as pastor until his death. Under his leadership, an adjacent lot was purchased. Leadership 6 years. For 6 months the church was without pastoral leadership. Elder James Hatchett served from June 1981 through August 1981. Reverend Junious A. Blake served as pastor October 1981 through 1984 with 3 years of leadership.

In 1985, Dr. Prince E.W. Bryant, Sr. was appointed pastor. Since his appointment over Twenty-Seven (27) properties have been acquired and our programs have included: Food Pantry Ministry, The Island of Hope Academy Day Care Ministry, Sick and Shut-In Ministry, Prison Ministry, Hospital Ministry, and Evangelism and Outreach Ministry, Unshackled Drug Ministry, Deacon’s Wives Ministry, Greeters, New Members Orientation Committee, Scholarship Committee, Youth and Children’s Ministry, Men’s Fellowship Ministry, Singles Ministry, Older Adult Ministry, Helping Hand Ministry, Widows Society Ministry, Living Word Bible School, Intercessory Prayer Ministry, and Low Income Housing Ministry.

On Sunday, the 1st Day of October 2000, we celebrated the dedication of our new dome edifice. The new edifice has a maximum seating capacity of 800 people. The Island of Hope is in the heart of Historic Fifth Ward, “An Island of Hope In A World of Despair,” we are a haven of refuge for the spiritually oppressed, the emotionally distraught, the poor and the disenfranchised of the community.